Press center menu
Krasnokamensk Street Named After Nikolay Karpov Who Developed Raw Material Sources of National Nuclear Industry
Nikolay B. Karpov spearheaded the First Main Directorate of the USSR Ministry of Medium Machine-Building, which was later superseded by ARMZ Uranium Holding Co. (the Mining Division of ROSATOM State Atomic Energy Corporation). The City Council of Krasnokamensk has adopted the resolution to name a street after Karpov at the request from Priargunsky Industrial Mining and Chemical Union, PJSC (E.P. Slavsky PIMCU, PJSC being under control of ARMZ Uranium Holding Co.) to coincide with the 75th anniversary of the nuclear industry. «Nikolay Borisovich Karpov was an associate of Efim Pavlovich Slavsky, a leader of the Soviet nuclear industry and a USSR Minister of Medium Machine-Building, whose name our union is dignified to bear now. Every year, he came to the Trans-Baikal Territory to personally supervise the construction of the largest uranium mining plant and the city of Krasnokamensk. PIMCU management have supported the initiative promoted by Nikolay Marselievich Meshcheryakov, Chief Engineer, VNIIKhT, JSC and a grandson of Nikolay Borisovich Karpov, who offered to perpetuate the name of his grandfather as the name of a street in Krasnokamensk,» says Ivan Kiselev, Director General of E.P. Slavsky PIMCU, PJSC. The name of Nikolay B. Karpov was given to a previously unnamed street running in the west of micro-district number three from Bolnichnaya Street to Geologov Prospekt, and all urban planning documents alongside with the road network plan of the city were updated accordingly.
For reference: Born on September 9, 1909 in the settlement of Shakhty in the Donetsk region, Nikolay B. Karpov began to work at Donetsk coal mines in 1925 to further study and graduate from the Mining Institute in 1931.
In 1939, Karpov was appointed manager of the Donetskugol Group and was Chief Engineer at Krasnoarmeyskugol Group since 1940. Since 1941, he was Chief Engineer at the 8th Directorate of Defences of the Southern Front. In 1942-1947, he managed the Molotovugol and Lenugol Groups and spearheaded the Chelyabinskugol Plant in 1947-1949. In 1949, N.B. Karpov was engaged in the USSR nuclear project and appointed Chief of the First Directorate — Deputy Chief of the Second Main Directorate under the USSR Council of Ministers. In 1953-1987, he spearheaded the First Main Directorate of the USSR Ministry of Medium Machine-Building.
Under the supervision and though the direct involvement of N.B. Karpov, the country designed and built its major uranium mining and processing plants, developed and implemented efficient technologies for the extraction of uranium and thorium, and those used to produce concentrates of lithium, tantalum, beryllium, niobium, tungsten, molybdenum, rhenium, scandium, gold, and other metals.
N.B. Karpov was a recipient of the Order of the Hero of Socialist Labor. He was also a five-time order bearer of the Order of Lenin, a bearer of the Order of the October Revolution, a three-time order bearer of the Order of the Red Banner of Labor and received other awards of the USSR and foreign countries. N.B. Karpov was also awarded the Stalin Prize, First Class (1951), USSR State Prizes (1967 and 1984), and the Lenin Prize (1980).